Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Audio Books & Online Libraries

Is anyone out there a fan of Audio-Books? I’m not talking about a replacement to paper books; audio will never give the same experience as paper. Personally I’m a huge fan of them for commuting to work or staying awake on a long drive or exercising (not that I do much of that). I have a huge collection of audio books (99 days worth of audio and growing) that I'm slowly chipping away at, including conference talks, the standard works and education week lectures. It guarantees that I’ll always have something that will be fun to listen to, and there’s always music if I get tired of spoken word :) Suffice it to say I’m a huge fan of iPod’s. How else could you organize all thes books and music? Who all out there has an mp3 player? I’m hooked on them. Anyway our library recently adopted online downloads for audio books. I’m sure most big city libraries have that option. It’s much better than trying to rip scratched CD’s from the Library onto yor iPod to listen to.

Along the same lines as audio books being made available at online Libraries, Google is in the process (fighting publishing companies along the way) of digitizing huge libraries of books. The project is called Google Books http://books.google.com/ and is an awesome idea for research. Imagine having the world’s greatest libraries available to goggle. Imagine being able to scour millions of books for a quote or topic. For fun go to the link above and type in "seer stone" (quotes included) and browse through some of hundreds of books available. Some books (publishers) will let you see a few pages surrounding the search string, others won't, but it’s a start. Legally I don’t see how the publishing companies are fighting Google on this, it’s definantly not illegal to quote a book in a report and that's essentially all they’re doing. Google doesn’t make the full book available just the page your information is found on, though some full books are available.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I much prefer to read books rather than listen to them. I can't pay attention well enough when I listen. Maybe it's cause alls I REALLY like is shopping and dessert. Let's have a discussion about those.

Anonymous said...

For example, try typing "shopping and dessert" in the google book search. Nothing.

Anonymous said...

"lame comment" gives a lot of results :)

Check out one of the results:
The Diversity Machine: The Drive to Change the "White Male Workplace"
Looks like a winner.

Mike said...

Salt lake started to put audio books up for downloads but you could only have them for 29 days or so then they erase. I personaly only listen to about an hour a day and some of these books are longer than that.

Anonymous said...

Yes, all online books are DRM (Digital Rights Management) limited. But there are ways around that. Most online books are WMA which is easy to “fix” with a few programs. Tunebite will re-record to mp3 any protected audio that you can play (4x dubbing makes it pretty quick), and FairUse4WM will remove DRM from Windows Media files. Both are fairly easy to get onto an iPod so you don’t have to rush to listed to the book.

Unknown said...

If anyone's interested we can set up an online library card exchange to increase the chances of finding a book we'd like to listen to. The great thing about that is you don't have to worry about someone forgetting to turn in a book on your card.

Anonymous said...

For any of you iPod fan Photoshoppers out there, there is a new contest to win some nice earphones.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/sitenews/comments/new-ipod-countdown-contest-enter-now/

To see the competition:

http://gallery.ilounge.com/ipod/thumbnails.php?album=58

I've got 2 entries but won't upload them until the last day. Too many of my ideas from last time are making there way into the other submissions. And I didn't win :( So I'm hoping ideas can trump ability this time. If you didn’t see my submissions last time you can search for them with “aarastas”.

Meghan said...

I love audio books for long drives. When Mike, Heidi, and I drove down to Arizona we listened to hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. It took up so much time, I loved it. But yes, if i'm at home I will always prefer a solid book over audio!

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker