Friday, May 29, 2009

Book Review: "Genesis" by Poul Anderson

Don't let the horrid cover fool you. This was a good read. If you liked "Lungfish" and "Diaspora" you should like this. Takes place at various times in the human and post human future, ending a billion or so years from now, near the end of Earth's life.

The book brought up some interesting questions.

Is it immoral to create a civilization, ex nihilo style, and let it run with free will and all that entails? Love, joy, sadness, murder, cruelty. Some characters in the book seemed to think so.

Would it then be immoral to terminate your creation completely?

In the end I was rooting against the crazy AI that wanted to let earth die and for the ones trying to preserve the "birthplace of consciousness." The final reveal was a bit of a shocker. Just goes to show you should be careful who you side with.

Overall and easier read than Diaspora, and highly recommended.

1 comment:

aarastas said...

I've had some fantasy books recommended to me that I'll have to post. I'm in the middle of the first book and loving it. I have a feeling it's even a post apocalyptic fantasy, but it may be too early to tell. Anyway, I don't want to post this early into the book.

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker