Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Book review: The Postman



Hey I don't know we want to do this with this blog, but one post won't do too much harm I suppose.

I think it may be fun to put book reviews here. That way, our now dead book club, can be more pick and choose. If you see a book review that you find interesting pick up the book. Format the review any way you like.

I recently read, "The Postman" by David Brin.

What I liked.

Post apocalyptic setting. I am a sucker for the post apocalypse. Don't know why. I just think it is fertile ground for stories about human nature and such, and a good place to reflect on civilization and society. This book did a fairly good job of creating such a place.

The Protagonist's journey was interesting. He kept traveling West hoping to find the remains of civilization.

The location. He ends up in Oregon. It was fun to read about him visiting towns that I know of. Ending up in the Willamette valley. Too bad Portland was still in a cloud of radioactivity.

The idea that something as simple as resuming postal service could bring people together and give them hope. Even if it was all a lie. I also liked Cyclops, an AI, that was helping people around OSU rebuild civilization. Or was it?

What I didn't like

The Protagonist was so dense. Whereas he was good and all, he kept feeling guilty for telling a lie, but failed to see that the lie was helping people. He kept searching for someone to follow that was ready to lead people back to hope and prosperity, but never thought that he was the person.

The Antagonists were infuriating. But it was interesting that what killed civilization was not the Nukes, not the 3 year nuclear winter that followed. But selfish men tearing down in the aftermath. Getting their own, while hurting others. Trying to bring back Feudalism etc. I guess I actually liked this part of the book.

It was written in 1985 and took place in 2011. A little soon to happen 16 years after the apocalypse. But this is a minor annoyance. Nobody can predict the future. Kindof like reading 2001 and saying, uh what?

The ending felt rushed. But it was not bad

Overall the book was ok. It was interesting but didn't really develop the ideas too well.



3 comments:

aarastas said...

Sounds like a fun read. I loved "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy in the same setting. I went off and tried some of his other books some good some not. The ones I liked:

All the Pretty Horses (1992)
The Crossing (1994)
Cities of the Plain (1998)

Matthew said...

I am reading a book called "Genesis" now, but I will go back and finish, "The Road" after I finish this one.

Mike said...

I too am a big fan of post apocalyptic stories. I really liked "The Road" though the ending was sad even though you saw it coming.
I even like lame ones because I enjoy contemplating life in that world. For example, "Water World" the movie. Super lame but I liked it because of the world they invented.

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker