Wednesday, July 01, 2009

One of my favorite Adventures

Going along with Michael's fun post on Nostalgic places I think it would be fun for us to each share a memorable adventure. The one I would like to tell is the time I hiked the Thousand Island Lakes Trail with Joesph, Matthew, Emily, Whitney and Nevada.


Hiking Thousand Island lake was definitely an adventure. I don't think any of us could forget the merciless mosquitoes! Poor Whitney seemed to get it the worst and had to hike around with a make shift burqa covering! After it was all over Emily and I had a competition to see who had the most bites. I don't remember who won but no joke I had 100 bites just on one side of my right calf. Even these wretched mosquitoes weren't bad enough to take away from the absolute beauty of this place. The greatest visual was walking over the crest to see the glimmering turquoise lake with the hundreds of tiny islands inviting you down.

The first night we camped we were all convinced there was a bear outside our tents only to find out it was fat Nevada snoring. When we reached the snow we all took turns dunking our heads under run off nearly passing out from the shock of it, then going back for seconds! Emily was brave enough to swim in the lake but I wasn't; it was so cold just touching it burned my skin. One of the brothers and Nevada switched off carting up two huge cans of Denizens Chili only to have it burned beyond eating because of the thousands of mosquitoes attacking me. I felt so bad, but it was still pretty funny. It was so much fun crushing the high altitude snow for my first time and watching it turn pink from bacteria. I think it is great how most of us had to put SPF cherry chap stick on our faces because none of us had sunscreen and we were so burnt. I loved hearing Matthew tell us his great idea for a science fiction story as we sat exhausted around the campfire. I think I remember packing a sleeping pad only to have it "borrowed" by Matthew both nights :), but to be fair he was carrying all my food. Thanks for the memories, I Love you big Brothers!

4 comments:

Matthew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew said...

That was a great hike. remember that Joseph hiked out to get some bear canisters so that we didn't get eaten. BEAUTIFUL country for sure. (Or was it to get a wilderness permit, I can't remember.)

Meghan said...

He hiked out to get the wilderness permit I believe. And I think I also remember that they were closed when he got there so we had to hide out like rebels!

Anonymous said...

I loved that trip and I believe that it was my SPF chap stick that we all used for sun screen. Meg won the mosquito bite contest (mostly because she had more skin to bite, all three of us were just huge bug bites with legs) and Emily hiked one of the minerets with Nevada behind her. Meg made me laugh hysterically to keep my mind of the stupid bugs.

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker