Saturday, September 25, 2010

Brandon Mull

No so much a book review as an Author review.

Heidi and I have really enjoyed his books. The candy shop wars is perfect for little kids that love candy. As in all little kids. It's set in the shadow of Mt. Diablo. 4 kids discover a magical candy shop and adventure follows. Its a 2-4 day read depending on how much time you have in the evening. Our boys' attention span isn't up to a book with out pictures yet but it is definitly on our family list of books to read to our kids. I picked up "Fablehaven" in 2005 and really enjoyed it. Heidi picked it up a year or two back and we got to the point where we were anxiously waiting for the sequels to come out. Book 5 (the final book) had us reading into the wee hours of the night.
A brother and a sister discover that their granparents are care takers of a haven for magical creaturs; Satyrs, fairies, golems, trolls and some many others. It's your basic stop the bad guys before they take over the world but the imagery and "twists" are very fun. They draw upon the imagination that exists in all children and many of us "grown ups".



I hope some of you pick them up and tell me what you think. Start with "The Candy Shop Wars" since it is a very small investment in time and stands alone. Anyone with kids or anyone that remembers what it was like being a child will love them because its every kids dream to discover treasure, magic candy and have adventures.

4 comments:

aarastas said...

I think we've made it through the first Fablehaven on a car trip. I'll have to finish them off with the kids.

Have you ever read "Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians"? I think there are three of them now...the kids liked the first one.

Mike said...

I'll have to pick it up. And to be honest, the first fablehaven is the least entertaining. They get much better. He does a good job with the brother and sister's personalities. I laughed out loud a few times with the two satyrs that befriend the brother. He does a good job with their witty comments.

I hope someday the Adventures of Arnie Onti sha sha and yu-yu bird become a family favorite audio book on car rides but losing all the files set me back even more. I just downloaded audacity again and plan to plow through. Maybe this time I wount get that weird feedback and it will go smoother.

Anonymous said...

I have an extra signed bookmark by him if any of you all want it

Meghan said...

Cute! I'll need to read these some time!

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker