Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Steampunk



So I finally learned the name to the genre that I have always liked but never knew the title. I've always enjoyed complex geared steam powered machines or flying air ships that have no business defying gravity. I really enjoy the art of it but have never read a book with it as a theme. I'm not a fan of its cousin cyberpunk, with its Blade Runners and Johnny Mneumonics. I fine the dystopias in cyberpunk to be a little disturbing. Anyway, just wondering if any of you are familiar with the genre. Plenty of movies have some steampunk themes/art. I think Stardust is one, the Golen Compass, Wild Wild West, the latest Sherlock Holmes. Not to say these were great movies, but I do like the art.











3 comments:

aarastas said...

I've always kinda liked the steam-punk computers but it just seems wrong (not that it should) to do that to something that will be out of date in a year.

Meghan said...

Neat! I've loved the artistic style in all of those movies as well! Thanks for looking it up!

Anonymous said...

If you want to read some books with similar themes, I would recommend the Mortal Engines Quartet. It's set in a post-apocalyptic version of earth where towns and cities have been converted into large steam powered mobile traction cities that devour smaller towns and villages in order to survive. It's written by Philip Reeve.

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker