Monday, June 08, 2009

Book Review: Mistborn


It's been a long time since I've read fantasy, but if I'm still calibrated correctly to the genre this is a good book and will prove to be a good series. I've read the first book and liked it and am enjoying the second. Ninja's meet Fantasy is kinda what it feels like, and let's face it Ninja's are cool (substitute Jedi's if you haven't been turned off to them by the recent Star Wars films). I originally picked this book up because the author has been chosen to finish the Wheel of Time books after Robert Jordan's death. Luckily Brandon Sanderson is a much better writer than Robert Jordan was, I almost finished his series just to not have wasted the time getting as far as I had. Though in the end I couldn't finish and only read the summaries. The fight scenes are awesome and I really liked all the characters.

5 comments:

Mike said...

It sounds awesome. I'll have to pick it up.

Mike said...

This book sounded good to me so I decided to pick it up. Not that the other book reviews didn't but I am in the mood for this genre at the moment.
This book reminds me of the "Tales of the Otori" books that add a supernatural twist to ninjas (come on, who doesn't think ninjas are cool?) Aaron and I agree though that the Otori books suffer from "lack of interesting plot" disease in the end.
I am enjoying the supernatural aspect of the mistborn and mistings of this book. And it has an "Ocean's 11" feel to the plot since there is a big heist plan in process by the main characters of the book that are professional thieves by trade. I came to learn that this was indeed the authors intent when I read a little at his web site. The author creates a pretty fun world. Not as many levels to this world as LOTR or the Fire and Ice series but just enough for a fun read. I'll post more when I finish the first book.

Anonymous said...

That author was here signing books when his newest one came out. I should read them, I certainly talked to the guy enough to like him, maybe I'll like his books (there were people dressed up in fantasy garb waiting in line all day so it should be fun)

aarastas said...

I'm mid way through book 3 and not wanting to finish it because it's been really fun reading it. I thought I'd go right into Elantris (His first book) when I'm done but might try another Meghan's book next.

aarastas said...

Just finished this series and recommend it to any fantasy fans. I really enjoyed it.

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker