Sunday, August 09, 2009

Mushroom logs







Mushrooms are pretty yummy and I think that finding them wild is very cool. The problem for me is that I'm not willing to stake my life or liver on a picture in a book that says these ones I'm looking at are safe to eat. But the next best thing I think would be growing them. Aaron told me about these mushroom logs. The logs (usually oak or another hard word species) are inoculated with spawn, then allowed to grow as they would in wild conditions. Fruiting, or pinning, is triggered by seasonal changes, or by briefly soaking the logs in cool water. Shiitake and oyster mushrooms have traditionally been produced using the outdoor log technique but companies that sell them are branching out. I think this would very fun and easy especially for those living in Oregon since the conditions are perfect year round. I think it would satisfy my bonsai gene, gardening gene and mushroom gene all at once. I'm going to try it when I get the right conditions. Just google mushroom logs, you tube even has some good videos on the process.

4 comments:

aarastas said...

I wan't to give this a try. Looks fun and good for decorating. Wonder how easy it'd be for some other mushroom to sneak itself onto a plugged mushroom log?

Mike said...

Good question. But I imagine that you would notice 1 or 2 mushroom being different than all the others.

Matthew said...

Let me know when they start selling truffle logs. :)

Meghan said...

Ha ha, I'm with Matthew on that one. That is cool though, you should do it Aaron!

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker