Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Rock Climbing

I think rock climbing is one of my favorite out door activities, though I don't get to go that often. When in Denver my brother in law John (wife's sisters husband) and I went up to Clear Creek Canyon to do some climbing. This was my first time lead climbing. Mostly I've done top rope and boldering.



We gave rout A a try. Here's the climbing map if any of you (or I) are ever in Denver and have the chance to give it a try (again). And it's just cool to look at. I didn't get a picture of the key but there were a few inverted places that were fun. Most of the climb was a 5.10c/d.



I only made it as far as the red X's go then...



I lost some skin trying to hold on. It dosn't look that bad after I cleaned off the blood, but it sure hurt.

Anyway being in shape would have been useful. But for not having been in years I did pretty good I think. I'd like to blame the altitude difference (me living at sea level) but I just need to do it more often. I figure when Arwen and Noah are old enough I'll take them climbing...but that doesn't solve the problem of having no one to belay me (I don't think Sarah is heavy enough, unless I stake her down). Oh well.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Great pictures. I think the first one gives a good sense of how high up you were. Yeah, I miss climbing. I need to get some more gear than just shoes. I would always go with people that had all the gear.

Meghan said...

I love rock climbing! My forearms always burned like crazy though! Talk Matthew into getting into it with you. He's heavy enough right? :)

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker