Friday, January 15, 2010

The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World


A national best seller and yet another Michael Pollan book that has won me over. Pollan focuses on four main plants that owe their current abundance to the cultivation of humans. In turn we owe a lot of our current abundance to them as well. I enjoyed how beautiful the writing was throughout the book, and especially enjoyed the idea of today's gardener being somewhat of a modern alchemist, turning dusty plants into ripe gold. For anyone that has an interest in botany, genetics, and gardening, this book was a fun and fairly quick read.

3 comments:

aarastas said...

Yet another one to go on my list. I enjoyed in defense of food.

Matthew said...

Started reading it and am liking it a ton after just 2 pages. I'll comment again after finishing it.

Matthew said...

Finished. Great book. Especially after reading Guns Germs and Steel. They fit together nicely.

Am reading Omnivore's Delemma now. Next I think will be Salt then I'll try 1491 again.

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker